[Digiview #3] An interview with Kings Weapon





Kings Weapon is a musician from Brooklyn, NY, he's known for creating ambient compositions with his bass guitar. If you've ever listened to his music then you know he creates beautiful soothing sounds, he's released many projects over the years and never fails to impress me with his skills. Kings Weapon also loves coffee! Well, who doesn't?


How's your day going?

Pretty good, thanks! Day off from work and just getting some errands done

How are you?

You're welcome! Days off are the best, I'm doing pretty good too

How long have you been playing the bass guitar?

Oh wow, this month is 30 years I’ve been playing! Started in 1991, so it’s been most of my life at this point.

Congrats!

Thank you!

Have you ever been in a band?

Many! King Weapon is still fairly new (started in 2018) and is the first solo thing I’ve done


Awesome!  I've been enjoying your solo work since 2019

That’s so good to hear

You have a unique sound

Very flattering. How did you hear it?

I remember a few years ago someone on Twitter retweeted one of your videos jamming with your guitar, been a listener ever since

That’s awesome. I love how everyone’s work spirals out from other people’s support

It’s a great time to be a fan or musician for sure

I feel the same way, speaking of your videos...

I noticed from your videos on Instagram you use guitar pedals, what's your go-to pedal when you're composing a track?

Oh wow, it changes by the day! Lately, it’s been the Chase Bliss Mood though, It’s so expressive and unpredictable It feels like you’re jamming with a fun robot.

What's your favorite live show you've been to?

As for when I was younger, I saw Smashing Pumpkins on the Melon Collie tour and it was quite intense and diverse. As for recently, Grouper in 2018. Was captivating

Those shows sound fun!

I’ve been to so many, hard to choose a few!

I can tell by listening to your music that it has a heavy shoegaze influence, which artists have influenced you the most?

Oh, that is spot on. Lush was the first one from that genre that I got into and I prefer them to all the rest, to be honest. They branched off quite a bit from the shoegaze sound, and they have just a startling beauty to their songs. And of course Cocteau Twins, MBV, Slowdive to name a few!

Excellent selection of artists man

Absolutely. So innovative and captured so much emotion

Slowdive is the first band that got me into shoegaze

Yeah, they are wonderful. Their reunion album was great, too!

I know you're a film enthusiast, do you have a favorite movie or tv series you like to watch?

Really into all the Lynch stuff. He and Badalamenti are such a good team as far as merging sound and picture. So I frequently revisit Twin Peaks and it’s had a huge influence on my sound. On the other side, I’m a huge Star Wars fan!

I've been meaning to watch twin peaks, everyone says it's a very good film!

It’s a wild ride. Highly recommend

Other than playing bass, have you dabbled with any other instruments?

A little! I actually teach band (like a School of Rock thing) in a public school, so I know the basics of guitar, keys, etc but very little. Bass has always been my main instrument and my most comfortable

Woah that's amazing, you're very talented

Thanks! But honestly, the other instruments are a struggle while the bass just comes naturally. I’ve always been drawn to it.

You're welcome!

Here's a fun question, what's your favorite blend of coffee?

Jim’s Organic Columbian Blend is incredible!

I'll give it a try sometime!

It’s pure speed haha

One final question I like to ask everyone I interview


If you were stranded on an island which 3 music-related items would you take with you?

Oh wow… my bass, pedalboard, and amp!

Does a whole pedalboard count as one item? 

Haha

Thanks for taking the time to do this interview!

Thank YOU! Was fun. Appreciate it




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Single Saturday #6] C!erra My$t- Thin Air (Ft. Sage Hardware)

[Single Saturday #7] π„π•π„π‘π˜ππŽπƒπ˜ (Feat. Angelshawty, Dame/Mandy)

[Digiview #10] An interview with Rift09